about 2 years ago
We know as devs you’re expertise lies in building apps - so keep building! - however, the submission video needs time too! It's often the first (and sometimes only!) thing that judges and voters review.
Your video tells the story behind your submission, providing a clear to showcase your app and talent in a video:
- Establish your elevator pitch. In the first few seconds of your video, explain the pain point that your app solves using the Office 365 products and tools. Within 60 seconds, viewers tend to lose interest, so use this time wisely to keep them engaged!
- Show, don't tell. Providing real life context and showing users firsthand how you're going to make their lives easier will help judges and voters understand and appreciate your product design.
- Keep it simple. Per the official rules, your video shouldn't be much longer than five minutes.
- Don't wait until the last minute to upload your video. Due to file size, format, and your Internet connection, uploading a video to YouTube, Vimeo, or Youku could take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours.
- Get organized. Write out a script of what you’ll say and demonstrate in your video and rehearse it before recording. Essentially a good script should talk about:
- The problem that your potential customers face
- Existing solutions to the problem
- The solution that your app provides
- How the app provides it
If you have any questions about the hackathon, please post on the discussion forum.